1) First, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this interview with me! When did you know that writing is what you were called to do? What is it about being a writer that you love the most? What about being a writer frustrates you the most?
I have always known that I was called to write since I was 16 years old. Writing became more purposeful when my first grandson Rocky was born. 1b. I love being a writer so much because of the characters I have created. I’m a children’s book writer, and I create superhero stories with my grandchildren as the main characters. They can read about characters who look like them, and are based on their personalities. 1c. What I find most frustrating about writing is that I need more time to focus on just that; writing.
2) Can you tell us a little about your book(s) and where our readers can find out more about them and you?
I’ve written three children’s books: Tickle Mites the Adventures of R.A.R Rocky, AJ, and Ramello- This book is about three boys-two brothers and a cousin who love being together. At AJ’s birthday party they make a wish that all children could be as happy as they are when they are together. Frosting splashes simultaneously on each of their faces. When they see a child sad, they sing a jingle and that jingle almost always turns them into candy characters known as Tickle Mites. Buddernut Adventures – Series 1. Gamma Loves Strawberries Just Like Aurielle and Papa’s Princess Picks Apples- This book series is about a determined, loving, caring, resilient little girl who speaks baby gibberish. Adults don’t understand but she somehow gets her point across and brings families together. 2b. You can find my books on all online platforms. For an autographed copy, please order from my website at http://www.ticklemitesfranchise.com my bio is there also.
3) Where do you draw your inspiration from for the stories that you manage to weave together and the characters that you create?
The inspiration I draw from for my stories is the goofy laughter of children, and I love to make children laugh. The characters are based on my adorable grandchildren whom I love so greatly.
4) Do you have a schedule for when you write? Do you outline your novels? How long does it generally take you to finish a novel? What projects are you currently working on?
I have no specific schedule for writing. I write when I’m inspired to do so, which could be at 3 am or 6 pm. 4b. I do not outline my novels. When inspired I write, and write, and write. 4c. Tickle Mites took two years to write, and Buddernut Adventures Series 1 took 3 months. 4d. I am currently working on Volume 2 of Tickle Mites Adventures, and a series of cute quirky songs for the Buddernut Series.
5) What’s the first book you ever read that really moved you emotionally? Who is your favorite author to read? What book are you currently reading?
The first book I read that moved me emotionally was when I was ten years old, my mom gave me a book titled “Dear God it’s Me, Margaret”. My favorite Authors are Toni Morrison and Maya Angelou. I am currently reading “Money Cometh to the Body of Christ”, by Dr. Leroy Thompson.
6) What has been your most significant achievement as a writer thus far? Where do you see yourself within your career in the next five years?
My most significant achievement as a writer so far is helping others to become an Indie Author. Authors the next five years I see a series of Tickle Mites cartoons, dolls based on my characters, and a few Tickle Mites albums with concert tours.
7) How have you dealt with rejection within your writing career? What is your advice for other writers to better be able to cope or navigate their way through the publishing process, be it traditional or self-publishing?
The rejection I’ve experienced in my writing career is what birthed my publishing services company. 7b. My advice to other Authors is if you want to be an Indie Author, hire someone you trust to execute your vision, and not their own agenda or financial gain. If you want to use a traditional company, ensure you have total creative control. The choice is yours. However, Tickle Mites, LLC will get you From Vision to Published and Beyond on an affordable budget.
8) Do you find it hard to juggle the creative side of being a writer against the business side of being a writer, in terms of marketing and promotion and things of that nature? How hard has it been (or easy) for you to build up your author platform?
I find the creative side of being a writer easier and more fulfilling than the business side of being a writer. The business side, I.e. Marketing, promoting, etc can be time-consuming. 8b. Building up my Authors platform has been pieced together by God. He brought key people like Queenie Clem in my life into helping me greatly. There are too many to name, but they know who they are because I make sure to let them know how grateful I am they are in my life.
9) What unique quality is there about you, about your art, that you feel represents your authenticity? How does writing help you to be more empowered in your purpose?
The most unique quality I have is I am genuine about helping people. My prices for my business display the motto “Chase the Dream and the Money Will Follow”, Author unknown. This motto also says a lot about my genuine nature for helping people. 9b. My writing and writing experience empower my divine purpose for to help others get their voices heard through writing.
10) How can readers find you and your books?
Readers can find me at Facebook@ticklemitesadventures, Instagram@ticklemitesllc, Youtube@ticklemites, and TikTok@ticklemites. You can purchase my books on all online bookstore platforms or for an autographed copy from my website bookstore.
#TickleMitesYeah #EeshWallahWallahAhmah #PapaCessPullPulls