1. Tell us about your latest book.
The Adventures of Carolina Moon is a compilation of poems and short stories about the struggles and triumphs of an African-American family, told through the eyes of a daughter and a few extra lessons that I’ve learned along the way.
2. What do you want readers to learn from the story?
I want people to know that love, sorrow and relationships are a universal part of life, no matter what color you are, and that most of us experience them in the same way. I also hope that readers experience something in my stories that affects them in a positive and profound way.
3. What do you want readers to learn from your life?
To follow your dreams and turn them into reality.
4. Who is your favorite author and why?
There are so many wonderful writers today. One of them is Michelle Obama, because she is “Beautiful, Brilliant and Black” and because I could relate to many of the things that she talked about in her book “Becoming.”
5. Tell me about a book that changed your life and why?
“Between the World and Me” by Ta-Nehisi Coates, because he brilliantly schools his son about life, and how to survive as a young black man in a country that was built upon his back. He is unapologetically intelligent, and black.
6. What advice do you have for people who want to write a book?
My advice would be to just start writing, especially if you think that you have a story to tell. I also recommend writing workshops. You can learn formatting and other things along the way.
7. What are you currently working on right now?
I am currently working on Volume 2 of The Adventures of Carolina Moon, and a second book called Pilgrimage to South Africa.
8. Do you have anything you would like to add?
I would like to add, that I am continuously, amazed by the struggles and contributions of our ancestors. I learn new things all the time. They deserve to be honored, and revered, they were truly extraordinary people.