1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
My name is Akima Marshall. I am an author, educational consultant, and science educator
2. What do you do when you are not writing?
I love to travel and visit family. I am always exploring new ways to introduce students to scientific concepts
3. Do you have a day job as well?
Yes, I am a high school science teacher.
4. When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I have loved writing ever since middle school. As an educator, I have always created my own materials for the classroom.
5. How did you choose the genre you write in?
As an educator, it did not take long to realize that our current teaching materials really do not speak to all students. Our students need to see themselves in the teaching materials (i.e. books, videos, websites, etc.)
6. Where do you get your ideas?
My current and former students
7. Do you ever experience writer’s block?
Yes, but usually a vacation or just a change of environment often cures writer’s block for me.
8. Do you work with an outline, or just write?
I usually start writing and create/adjust the outline as I continue to write.
9. Is there any author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison is my favorite book
10. Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published?
I self-published my first book, and it was not an easy process. There is so much that goes along with publishing and promoting a book. It’s much more than just getting the words on the page. Initially, I thought the book would speak for itself. That was a mistake.
11. If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change?
I would join an author’s group or two. This is a game changer. Family and friends are great, however; they were unaware of the process.
12. How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?
So far, I have been using social media, websites, and community events.
13. Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published?
14. Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
Graceful Teaching is about successful teaching strategies for all students.
15. Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
The entire book is based on real life.
16. How did you come up with the title?
I wanted a title that included all children
17. What project are you working on now?
Graceful Teaching and additional Science for Me books
18. Will you have a new book coming out soon?
Yes, Graceful Teaching and Science for Me II will be published in fall 2020.
19. How can your readers find you?
Facebook: @scienceformeboss Instagram: scienceforalllearners