Please welcome Author CaNon Harper to my channel. I really appreciate you stopping by today.
- Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I’m a 44 year old father of two boys and a girl. I grew up in Detroit, Michigan. For the majority of my adult life I lived an anti-social lifestyle. I’ve done three prison stints for crimes that range from bank robbery to drug dealing. In 2018, I came home after serving 10 years of a 40 do 20 year prison sentence.
- What do you do when you are not writing?
When I’m not writing I’m spending time with my youngest son, and always trying to figure out the best way to get my message out.
- Do you have a day job as well?
I recently quit my day job. I needed to give myself time to give Grown Man Enterprise, LLC my all.
- When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I started writing in 2004 and completed the book in 2005.
- How did you choose the genre you write in?
While I was in federal prison a few of my friends and I used to read a lot. When hip-hop fiction (as it was known) became popular we started reading a lot of those books. So once I started writing it was the genre that fit the content of my stories.
- Where do you get your ideas?
I get my ideas from an event that may have happened in my life, a message that I want to express, or even a title that comes to mind.
- Do you ever experience writer’s block?
Thus far, I’ve been fortunate that I’ve not had to deal with writer’s block.
- Do you work with an outline, or just write?
I don’t use an outline. I’m able to just write.
- Is there any author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?
There’s a few authors that have influenced me, i.e., Sidney Sheldon, Eric Jerome Dickey, and John Grisham to name a few.
- Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published?
The challenges of getting my first book published came because I was learning the business. I didn’t try to shop my book. I came home and started to learn how to do it myself. I didn’t want someone to pay me a percentage of my work so I started Grown Man Publishing, LLC.
- If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change?
In my first book I’d change the way I spelled some of the words. I wouldn’t write it with so much slang. I’d also add more substance to the story. I kinda glorified the lifestyle and I don’t like that I did that.
- How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?
Right now I’m trying to have a strong social media presence. I utilize marketing tools that cater to urban drama (my name for the genre). So far the thing that has been most effective is word of mouth.
- Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published?
No, since I’m a self-published author I get to drop what I want, when I want.
- Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
My latest book is about a single father that made the choice to get out of the street life so that he could take care of his daughter after her mother left them.
- Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
All of my books have things in them that are based on situations and/or circumstances that I’ve experienced and dealt with personally.
- What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?
The part that I enjoyed writing the most is the ending, because I was able to pay respect to a man that helped to raise me into the man that I am now. He wasn’t my biological father but I don’t think if he was that he would’ve loved me more.
- How did you come up with the title?
I was thinking about my life and how I didn’t make the sacrifices needed to remain a constant in my kids life and wanted to paint a black father in a positive light, and the way to do that is to make the necessary sacrifices.
- What project are you working on now?
Right now I’m working on The Science to Re-Entry. It’s me giving my take on what it takes for men and women to change so they don’t go back to prison once they’re released.
- Will you have a new book coming out soon?
The Science to Re-Entry will be coming out real soon, and I’ll be dropping Diary of Detroit’s Underworld shortly after that. It’s finished.
- How can readers find you?
Readers can find me on Facebook at Grown Man Enterprise, LLC; @grownmanent_ on IG; and @CaNonHarper & @GrownManEnt_ on twitter. They can also look for CaNon Harper on GOODREADS.