Please welcome Author De Kari to my blog today. Welcome Author De Kari.
1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Hello, my name is Author De Kari. I have had a love for writing since childhood. I used writing as a way to escape. I didn’t have the best childhood, I was in and out of foster care and other institutions. I had dreams of being an author after I won first prize in elementary school for my fictional story.
2. What do you do when you are not writing?
Mostly reading and drawing. I also enjoy fishing, sports and spending time with family. I spend a lot of time helping others as well.
3. Do you have a day job as well?
Not at this time due to reasons out of my control. (incarceration)
4. When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I first started writing books in 2016. I finished my first book in 2017 and it was published December 2018, Gorillaz In The Bay – Neva Die.
5. How did you choose the genre you write in?
Urban Fiction / Street Life came natural to me due to the life I lived growing up.
6. Where do you get your ideas?
From some of my own experiences, people I have come in contact with and my imagination.
7. Do you ever experience writer’s block?
Sometimes, but usually I work on more than one book at a time, when I am having difficulty with one story I go to the other.
8. Do you work with an outline, or just write?
I usually just write.
9. Is there any author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?
Maya Angelou, Terry McMillan, Terri Woods, Ca$h, Al Saadiq-Banks, Ashley & Jaquavis
10. Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published?
Finding a publisher interested in my work / someone that publishes urban fiction.
11. If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change?
I would take more time writing my books.
12. How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?
Social media and having family, friends, etc, spread the word and promote.
13. Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published?
No, so far everything I have sent my publisher has been published. I have several books written that have not been sent in yet – waiting to be typed.
14. Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
Gorillaz In The Bay 4 – The Conclusion, is the last book of the Gorillaz In The Bay series. It’s about the Neva Die Family and the end of their street mentality and gangster ideology, that most people in the hood fall victim to. It took one of the founding members of the Neva Die Family resurfacing to get them back on track, which led to the birth of a positive movement.
15. Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
Every book I have written so far includes some real life experiences, but not all of the experiences have been my own.
16. What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?
In Book 2, Gorillaz In The Bay – Voorheeze & Clarkola, Chapter XIV is my favorite because it’s about fantasy, romance and the woman that Voorheeze has loved since childhood. My books are about street life but I enjoy including the “hot” sex scenes. I am definitely a romantic.
17. How did you come up with the title?
Gorillaz In The Bay – Voorheeze & Clarkola. My publisher and I came up with the title Gorillaz In The Bay because the Bay Area of California is considered the jungle and the Gorilla is the most dominant force in the jungle. Since it was an urban book about street life, the name fit. Voorheeze & Clarkola – are the main characters in the story.
18. What project are you working on now?
I have three other books that are waiting to be typed & published. Blood of My Father – a prison story about Voorheeze Dirt Bag – an urban suspense thriller If It’s Meant To Be – a romantic thriller, also plan on doing other genres in the near future that will include romance novels.
19. Will you have a new book coming out soon?
Yes, November, Gorillaz In The Bay 4 – The Conclusion. The last book of the Gorillaz of the Bay series.
20. How can your readers find you?
For book purchases – Amazon.com
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/dekari.steven
Instagram – urban.novels.by.dekari
Twitter – https://twitter.com/Dekari67503535
Amazon Author Page – https://www.amazon.com/DeKari/e/B07MCMJGXJ?ref=sr ntt srch Ink fkmro 1&qid=15 56320531&sr=8-1-fkmro
Goodreads Author Page – https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/18735895. De_Kari?from_search=true
Contact Information: email, Dekari.Author@gmail.com