Please welcome Shelli Marie to my blog this afternoon. Welcome Author Shelli.
- Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? I’m Author Shelli Marie. I’ve been published over 6 years and I’ve been writing for 7 years. I’m from the Rose City (Portland, Oregon) but I’ve lived in Arizona since 2001.
- What do you do when you are not writing? Promoting, Planning, Family time, Traveling, Book Fairs, Library…
- Do you have a day job as well? No, writing is my full-time job.
- When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book? I started writing in September of 2012. Finished my first book in January, but it ended up being book 2 to a series, so I went back and wrote book 1 and put them both out in April of 2013.
- How did you choose the genre you write in? I chose to write romance, and urban fiction because those are subjects that I can easily relate to.
- Where do you get your ideas? I get most of my ideas from everyday life, personal experiences of my own and those of close friends and family.
- Do you ever experience writer’s block? If and when I do, it’s usually only temporary and comes from stress or pushing myself too hard. When I get like that, I listen to music or do other things to unwind… LOL
- Do you work with an outline, or just write? I hardly ever use an outline in the beginning, but I do take notes while I’m writing, and I do write down ideas that I have along the way. Sometimes in the order I want things to happen…
- Is there any author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult? Sista Souljah’s “No Disrespect” was the first urban book I read, then from there I was introduced to Vickie Stringer, Keisha Ervin, Terri Woods, Treasure Blue, K’wan and Wahida Clark.
- Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published? I really didn’t have a problem getting my first book published. I actually did my research and self-published my first two books. After a few months, I signed to Leo Sullivan.
- If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change? There is nothing that I would go back and change. I came this far, not only because of my talent, but because of my failures that I learned from.
- How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre? I market my work on all social networks as rely on word of mouth. I also pay for promotions from time to time.
- Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published? Every book of mine that is completed is published. Since I can self-publish, I’ve never had this problem.
- Can you tell us about your upcoming book? I have several books coming out. In October, I have book 3 of “Once a Ho’ Always a Ho’” a collab written with Lady Lissa. We also have a DV book coming out in October, “The Day She Tried To Leave”. In addition, I have two books being released under my own company, Rose City Ink… “Angel in Disguise” written with J. Criss and also “What His Wife Won’t Do, His Side Chick Will” written with Summer Grant. Both will be released this October.
- Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination? I always take things from real life experiences. No sole book is based on one single person or event.
- What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why? My favorite part to write in all my books are happy times, like overcoming a tragedy, or finally finding love, or getting married and of course, I love writing a happily ever after ending, even though those don’t always happen…
- How did you come up with the title? I come up with titles based on the moral of the story.
- What project are you working on now? The Day She tried to Leave, Angel in Disguise, What His Wife Won’t do, His Side Chick Will, Once a Ho’ Always a Ho’ book 3. They all will be released in October 2019
- How can your readers find you? Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and my website, shellimarie.com
Rose City Ink, LLC
Rose City Ink Kids